Eddy Current Testing Inspection
Eddy current testing a modern Nondestructive testing – NDT method that has become one of the primetool for quality control of products, materials and structures at various stages of manufacturing and in-service inspections. Eddy current inspection can be used to find finest surface and subsurface flaws in any conductive material. Spectrums of quality control engineering applications are existing applying Eddy current principles. PresentEddy current NDT method has applications in Aerospace Component Inspections, Heat exchanger tube inspections and other critical engineering applications.
Eddy current testing and the principles can be used for the following engineering applications
- Material sorting – mix up of various grade of materials either chemically different or variation in mechanical properties or metallurgically difference in structures can sorted using Eddy current testing equipments.
- Surface and subsurface flaw detection in conducting materials. Flaws could be cracks, laminations, and other discontinuities that can be detrimental to the product performance.
- Conductivity testing for metals.
- Accurate measurement of Coating thickness with Eddy current testing. The coating can be conductive or non-conductive with few limitations on the accuracy of the measurements.
- This NDT inspection method can also be used for thickness testing and measurement of especially low thicknesses of conductive materials where there is a restriction on using Ultrasonic thickness gauging due to component configuration or the quantum of inspection. Eddy current inspections can be either contact or non-contact type tests.
- Eddy current testing is an effective means of verification of integrity of structures and estimation of corrosion damages for heat exchanger tubes. Routine in-service maintenance inspectionsusing Eddy current techniques yield reliable data for analysis and condition monitoring of plants and structures.
Trinity NDT Eddy Current testing facility at Bangalore, India
- State of Eddy current inspection equipment suitable for any of the above application
- Multi frequency capability forn heat exchanger tube inspections
- Rotating scanner option for inspecting bolt holes in aircraft structures
- Impedance plane display equipments that are designed for general and critical Eddy current inspections. Built in defect recording makes testing and printing reports and finishing the tasks quickly to fulfill inspection targets.
- Experienced NDT Level II certified professionals to carryout Eddy current inspections in house and onsite jobs.
- In-house ASNT NDT Eddy current testing ET Level III services on Consulting, technique establishments, procedure preparation,
- Trinity NDT offers world class training and certification courses to certify for Eddy current ET Level I and ET Level II as per ASNT Recommended practice SNT TC 1A through our training services division ‘Trinity Institute of NDT Technology at the training center in Bangalore – India or client venues.E-mail us your query or call us for more information on our training courses.
We at ‘Trinity NDT’provide reliable and dependable services on Eddy current testing fine tuned to the client needs with our expert team of NDT Level II, III professionals and state of art equipments & approved NDT testing procedures that meets national and international standards. We can perform Eddy current inspection both in-house and onsite inspections.Contact Trinity NDT for more information on your NDT inspection, training and certification, welding inspection and other quality control needs.
Principle of Eddy Current testing
When a test specimen is brought into proximity to the alternating flux field of an eddy current coil, coil flux causes electrons in the specimen to circulate in a swirling eddy-like pattern; hence the term “eddy currents.”Eddy current behavior depends on the properties of both the flux and the specimen itself. So eddy currents are circular alternating currents caused by a varying magnetic field.
Advantages of Eddy Current Testing
- Eddy currents are Sensitive to small cracks and other defects
- Eddy current testing detects surface and near surface defects
- Eddy current Inspection gives immediate results
- ET Equipment is very portable
- This Method can be used for much more than flaw detection
- Minimum part preparation is required
- Eddy current Test probe does not need to contact the part
- Eddy currents Inspects complex shapes and sizes of conductive materials
Limitations of Eddy Current testing
- Eddy current inspection is suitable for only conductive materials
- Surface must be accessible to the Eddy current probe/s
- Skill and training required to carry out eddy current inspection is more extensive than other techniques
- Surface finish and roughness may interfere with test results
- Reference standards needed for setup for every application
- Depth of penetration is limited
- Flaws such as de-laminations that lie parallel to the probe coil winding and probe scan direction are undetectable and may get detected only using specially designed Eddy current probes for such applications.
Want to learn more about ET& NDT? We would like to share our experience and expertise through NDT & Welding Inspection training certification courses. Join us at our NDT certification courses offered by Trinity Institute of NDT Technology, Bangalore, India for your Level I & II certification on Eddy Current testing. Trinity NDT can also train and certify QA/QC personnel on Ultrasonic testing, Magnetic particle testing, Liquid penetrant testing, Radiography testing, Radiography film interpretation, Visual testing and Ultrasonic thickness gauging. Contact us for more information on eligibility, fee structure and training schedules.